BNF for Children June 2021 Update
This update contains 8 significant changes, 6 dose changes and 2 new preparations.
• Esomeprazole: updated breast feeding statement.
• Hypoglycaemia: updated guidance.
• Immune thrombocytopenic purpura: updated guidance.
• Lansoprazole: updated breast feeding statement.
• Life support algorithm (image): newborn life support algorithm, paediatric advanced life support algorithm, and paediatric basic life support algorithm images updated.
• Life support algorithm (image): paediatric out-of-hospital basic life support algorithm image added.
• Polyethylene glycol (PEG) laxatives and starch-based thickeners: potential interactive effect when mixed, leading to an increased risk of aspiration [MHRA/CHM advice] (advice in macrogol 3350 with anhydrous sodium sulfate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and sodium chloride, macrogol 3350 with potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and sodium chloride; see example in macrogol 3350 with anhydrous sodium sulfate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and sodium chloride).
• Sodium nitrite: risk of death from unintended administration of sodium nitrite [NPSA advice].
• Amiodarone hydrochloride [update to dosing for the treatment of ventricular fibrillation or pulseless ventricular tachycardia refractory to defibrillation (for cardiopulmonary resuscitation)].
• Budenofalk® capsules and granules (budesonide) [update to dosing for microscopic colitis].
• Entocort® capsules (budesonide) [update to dosing for microscopic colitis].
• Glucose [update to dosing for hypoglycaemia].
• Medical emergencies in the community [update to dosing of glucose for hypoglycaemia].
• Naloxone hydrochloride [update to dosing for treatment of acute opioid overdosage including high- and low-dose regimens].
• Miprosed® [midazolam].
• Ozalin® [midazolam].
For further details on changes in the BNFC click on