BNF for Children April 2022 Update
This update contains 8 significant changes, 3 dose changes, 1 new preparation, and 1 deleted preparation.
• Chlorhexidine [primary therapeutic area changed to genito-urinary system, secondary therapeutic area changed to oropharynx].
• Chloroquine: increased risk of cardiovascular events when used with macrolide antibiotics; reminder of psychiatric reactions [MHRA/CHM advice].
• COVID-19 vaccines: updated guidance in-line with UK Health Security Agency recommendations.
• Hydroxychloroquine sulfate: increased risk of cardiovascular events when used with macrolide antibiotics; reminder of psychiatric reactions [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Immunisation schedule: updated guidance in-line with UK Health Security Agency recommendations.
• Ivacaftor: Ivacaftor, tezacaftor, elexacaftor (Kaftrio®▼) in combination with ivacaftor (Kalydeco®): risk of serious liver injury; updated advice on liver function testing [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Remdesivir: reporting to the UK COVID-19 Antivirals Pregnancy Registry [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Smoking cessation: updated guidance on management.
• Eltrombopag [addition of Southeast Asian ethnicity to dosing for treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura].
• Etanercept [update to dosing].
• Hepatitis B immunoglobulin [update to dosing in prophylaxis against hepatitis B infection from birth to 4 years old, and dosing in prevention of transmitted infection at birth].
• Vaxelis® [diphtheria with tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, poliomyelitis and haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine]
• Synflorix® [pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugate vaccine (adsorbed)]
For further details on changes in the BNFC click on https://www.medicinescomplete.com/#/content/bnfc/PHP107699?hspl=changes